theCompass mobile application is a winery, brewery, and distillery locator for North America.

Cedar View Winery

Cedar View Winery Jim and Debbie Van Haun founded Cedar View Winery in 1999 with an emphasis on producing rare, eclectic, hard-to-find varietals. The winery's estate “flagship” grape, Alicante Bouschet, is made as a very popular award-winning red wine as well as a very rare Rosé. Other rare varietals produced by Cedar View Winery include a Tinta Cao and Touriga, two full bodied red wines with Portuguese ancestry that pair well with steaks and roasts. Our Old Vine Grenache comes from the George Saroyan Vineyard, planted in 1957, and is a multi-award winner. Cedar View Winery also produces one of Spain’s most popular rare varietals, a Tempranillo, along with small, hand-crafted lots of Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio, Viognier, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Zinfandel.


View Map | View Weather

Address Web Social
1384 South Frankwood Avenue, Sanger, CA, US, 93657 Email:
Phone: 866-738-6420 Web:
Back to CA wine list


  Alicante Bouschet
Our “flagship” wine, Alicante Bouschet, is a little known French Rhone derivative, with parents in France and Spain. Our nine acres of Alicante Bouschet were planted in 1977 and surround our Bed & Breakfast. The grapes benefit from our location due to the cooling winds coming down from the Sierras. Alicante Bouschet is characteristic on the palette with “brambly” fruit flavors of blackberry and boysenberry. Both of our 2002 and 2003 Alicante Bouschet wines have medaled.
  Cabernet Sauvignon
The grapes were sourced from a beautiful vineyard along the Salinas River just east of Paso Robles. This Cabernet Sauvignon is a deep rich wine with flavors of Bing cherry and a nice tannic backbone. Also aged in American oak. The Cabernet goes great with red meat and spicy pasta dishes.
Sourced from a vineyard just east of the Coast Range in Fresno County, the wine displays an earthy nose with very rich ripe plums on the palate. A pleasing finish has hints of blackberry and boysenberries. Aged in new American Oak, this Merlot has been blended with our estate Alicante Bouschet (25%). The Alicante brings some of the berry finish and additional color.
  NV Sequoia Summer
Sequoia Summer is an eclectic blend of 2003 Merlot (50%), 2004 Zinfandel (25%) and 2004 Alicante Bouschet (25%). The wine is bright with aromas of cherry, cedar and fennel. Balanced tannins combined with sweet vanilla oak and herbal aromas enhance the wine’s pleasing finish. A great red table wine for everyday enjoyment!
  Old Vine Grenache
The Grenache vineyard was planted in 1957 by George Saroyan, first cousin to author William Saroyan and is about 3 miles from our estate vineyard and winery. Our 2004 Old Vine Grenache bursts on the nose and palette with multiple layers of fruity raspberry and strawberry with a slight spicy, white pepper finish. The 2003 was a double award winner.
  Pinot Grigio
The Pinot Grigio grape has its origins in Italy and is that country’s number one white wine. This Pinot Grigio is sourced from the hills just west of Paso Robles. It is a light, refreshing wine with undercurrents of granny smith apple and pear. Great with seafood and poultry dishes.
  Sequoia Sunset
A truly unique rosé produced with 75% Alicante Bouschet which is a unique wine grape because of its dark red juice. The Alicante was harvested just before full maturity, then crushed and pressed the same day. It was barrel fermented using older American oak barrels. The remaining 25% is fruity Viognier and a hint of Muscat of Alexandra. Displaying a gorgeous salmon color from the Alicante, the wine bursts with refreshing berry flavors on the palate. Sequoia Sunset recently received a Bronze Medal at the Central California and Orange County Wine Competitions.
  Tinta Cao
In Portugal, Tinta Cao is one of the primary varietals that is blended to make classic Port. This is the second year that we have sourced Tinta Cao from Madera County and made it as a traditional red wine. The wine is bright with characteristics of cranberry and concentrated raspberries. Pair it with roasted pork or grilled sausage.
Portuguese Touriga is typically blended with other grape varietals such as Tinta Cao to make Port. Here at Cedar View, we made the Touriga as a dry, stand-alone varietal. The Touriga exhibits blueberries on the nose and a leathery, slightly smokey finish. Great with spicy Spanish dishes and red meats!
Viognier is widely planted in the Rhone River Valley of Southern France. It does particularly well in our valley and is characterized by tropical fruit on the nose with a very pleasing mid-palette of fig and citrus. It is great with cheese, crackers, fresh fruit, seafood and lightly spiced foods.
The grapes were grown in Madera County and are characteristic of this varietal. This 100% Zinfandel displays loads of pepper and black cherries on the nose with a full mouth feel. It pairs well with steak and Italian dishes.


Add New Review