Home   Map   Blog Roll   WineCompass   Wine 101   My Compass 

Sequoia Sunset

Sequoia Sunset Wine Details
Price: $11.00 per bottle

Description: A truly unique rosé produced with 75% Alicante Bouschet which is a unique wine grape because of its dark red juice. The Alicante was harvested just before full maturity, then crushed and pressed the same day. It was barrel fermented using older American oak barrels. The remaining 25% is fruity Viognier and a hint of Muscat of Alexandra. Displaying a gorgeous salmon color from the Alicante, the wine bursts with refreshing berry flavors on the palate. Sequoia Sunset recently received a Bronze Medal at the Central California and Orange County Wine Competitions.

Varietal Definition
The most acclaimed white wine grape from France's Rhône Valley, Viognier is a highly aromatic varietal, with a flavor profile that could include peach, apricot, nectarine, lichee, musk and flower blossom. The heady perfume of this varietal is one of its trademarks, although its flavors are sometimes problematic in matching with food. However, it does well with lobster, crab and moderately flavored fish. Use it as an apéritif as an alternative to Chardonnay. The "Rhône Rangers" in California have done an excellent job promoting this varietal.
Alicante Bouschet:
Minor grape originating from a 19th century cross using the Aramon and ancient Teinturier native vine, resulting in a hybrid varietal. This in turn was crossed with the Grenache to give the named grape. Widely grown in France, California and Spain. In the latter country it is known as Garnacha Tintorera. In the cool Champagne region of France it is the main grape used to make the sweet "vin mousseux" - (sparkling wine). Often known as "Alicante" for short. Elsewhere the canned juice is used by many amateur winemakers for fermenting homemade wines.


Back to Cedar View Winery information