Home   Map   Blog Roll   WineCompass   Wine 101   My Compass 

Viognier, Santa Barbara County

Viognier, Santa Barbara County Wine Details
Price: $23.00 per bottle

Description: The 2004 Viognier, Santa Barbara County has our classic full mouth feel and a clean, lingering finish. It is a blend of grapes from four vineyards: Stolpman Vineyard fruit (16%) provided a lighter, floral-peach, mineral element to the wine; Bien Nacido Vineyard fruit (26%) added body, glycerin, and a burst of tropical and peach aromas; Melville-Verna’s Vineyard fruit (16%) added body, minerality and grace: Paradise adds rich tropical flavors and controls the overall acid level of the wine (42%) It was fermented in twenty neutral, French barrels. (480 cases produced)

Varietal Definition
The most acclaimed white wine grape from France's Rhône Valley, Viognier is a highly aromatic varietal, with a flavor profile that could include peach, apricot, nectarine, lichee, musk and flower blossom. The heady perfume of this varietal is one of its trademarks, although its flavors are sometimes problematic in matching with food. However, it does well with lobster, crab and moderately flavored fish. Use it as an apéritif as an alternative to Chardonnay. The "Rhône Rangers" in California have done an excellent job promoting this varietal.


Back to Jaffurs Wine Cellars information